The Community Rights Coalition was formed by residents of Jefferson County, WA, who attended workshops and Democracy School given by the Community Environmental Legal Defense Fund (CELDF). We have met for a year to study how:
- Corporations have used the US Supreme Court to become “persons” under the law with human rights to privacy, freedom of speech and unlimited political influence;
- Communities in the United States and internationally are finding ways to resist the corporations whose business causes harm;
- Including the “right to govern ourselves” in a legal strategy changes how the law and courts consider ordinances;
- Creating a Home Rule Charter can give needed tools to citizens wanting a stronger voice in their own government.
After an intense petition drive we have succeeded in bringing to the ballot Proposition 1 and ask you, the voters of Jefferson County to support:
The Community Rights Coalition Platform
- Vote yes for Proposition 1. Elect freeholders empowered to create an amendable Home Rule Charter designed of, by and for the People of Jefferson County.
- Claim the power of Initiative and Referendum for local citizens.
- Include a simple Bill of Rights such as: We the People have the innate right to govern ourselves and the right to defend the living world of which we are a part.
- Vote for the following candidates who support Proposition 1 and have declared their support for Initiative, Referendum and a simple Bill of Rights.
District 1: O’Neill Louchard (CRC), Julia Cochrane (CRC), Doug Milholland (CRC), John Wood
District 2: Mike Regan (CRC), David Cunningham
District 3: Norm Norton (CRC), Jim Davis, Nicole Black
For more information about Proposition 1 – Home Rule Charter for Jefferson County, Washington please go to the Yes! on Home Charter Ballot Committee Website: http://yesonhomerule.com/