Community Rights Coalition of Jefferson County will meet on November 2nd – 9:30 am to 11:30 am at Quimper Unitarian Universalist Fellowship hall – 2333 San Juan Avenue Port Townsend, WA. All Friends are welcome to attend. Updates on Proposition 1 and I-522 campaigns. Election night gathering and post-campaign potluck will be discussed. Join Us!
CRC PLATFORM AND LIST OF CRC ENDORSED CANDIDATES BY DISTRICT – See below
The Community Rights Coalition was formed by residents of Jefferson County, WA, who attended workshops and Democracy School given by the Community Environmental Legal Defense Fund (CELDF). We have met for a year to study how:
- Corporations have used the US Supreme Court to become “persons” under the law with human rights to privacy, freedom of speech and unlimited political influence;
- Communities in the United States and internationally are finding ways to resist the corporations whose business causes harm;
- Including the “right to govern ourselves” in a legal strategy changes how the law and courts consider ordinances;
- Creating a Home Rule Charter can give needed tools to citizens wanting a stronger voice in their own government.
After an intense petition drive we have succeeded in bringing to the ballot Proposition 1 and ask you, the voters of Jefferson County to support:
- The Community Rights Coalition Platform
- Vote yes for Proposition 1.
- Elect freeholders empowered to create an amendable Home Rule Charter designed of, by and for the People of Jefferson County.
- Claim the power of Initiative and Referendum for local citizens.
- Include a simple Bill of Rights such as: We the People have the innate right to govern ourselves and the right to defend the living world of which we are a part.
- Vote for the following candidates who support Proposition 1 and have declared their support for Initiative, Referendum and a simple Bill of Rights.
The Community Rights Coalition of Jefferson County endorses the following candidates for District Freeholder.
District 1: O’Neill Louchard (CRC), Julia Cochrane (CRC), Doug Milholland (CRC), John Wood
District 2: Mike Regan (CRC), David Cunningham
District 3: Norm Norton (CRC), Jim Davis, Nicole Black
For more information about Proposition 1 – Home Rule Charter for Jefferson County, Washington please go to the Yes! on Home Charter Ballot Committee Website: http://yesonhomerule.com/
WHAT YOU CAN DO TO HELP FROM NOW UNTIL NOVEMBER 5th. HONKING AND WAVING UNTIL ELECTION DAY – WE NEED YOU! …
The ballots go out on Wednesday, October 16th of this week. The newspaper insert for Yes! On Home Rule will also go out with the Port Townsend Leader in the October 16th edition of the Port Townsend Leader. Research tells us that 60% of voters will fill out their ballots within the first 2 days of receiving them. Talk to your friends, tell them to vote YES! on Proposition 1 and vote for 5 or less Freeholder candidates in their voting district. Visit our website to get more information
HONKING AND WAVING- WE NEED YOU! Throughout the weeks leading up to the last day to turn in ballots (November 5th at 5:00 PM) supporters of Proposition 1 will be Honking and Waving with our yard signs at strategic locations throughout the county, most notably near the PT Food Coop on Sims and Kearney. Come join us. People have been waving back and stopping and asking questions about Home Rule, the charter process and election of Freeholders.
JOIN US IN BRINGING MORE VOICE TO THE CITIZENS OF JEFFERSON COUNTY WASHINGTON!