“Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light.”
The General Assembly meetings of Jefferson County Community Rights Coalition – are open to ALL FRIENDS. All GA meetings held on Saturday mornings and start at 10:00 AM ( A new starting time) and run until noon.
The next 4 meetings of the Jefferson County Community Rights General Assemblies will be held as follows:
- Saturday – February 8th, 2014
- Saturday – February 22, 2014
- Saturday – March – 8th, 2014
- Saturday – March 22nd, 2014
Please join us at Quimper Unitarian Universalist Fellowship hall – 2333 San Juan Avenue Port Townsend, WA
The JCCRC Study group meets on Tuesday Nights at 5:30 PM at the Quimper Unitarian Universalist Fellowship hall.
AGENDA FOR A NEW YEAR – Community Rights for all sentient beings and Nature
Here are a few of the issues that will be addressed in the coming months by the Jefferson County Community Rights Coalition.
- The CRC will develop a process of how we will communicate. We will be inviting a community person with experience to lead us through this process. We will develop a values-based process using consensus and peaceful collaboration. The study group proposes that we put on a facilitated workshop to hone in on our commonly held values. This is the first step in the “Formal Consensus Process” outlined in workbook On Conflict and Consensus.
- The CRC will look at the City Initiative and Referendum Process
- The CRC will be Connecting with other community groups such as 20/20 and the local foods movement as well as Occupy Port Townsend. The goal is collaboration, cooperation, and resilency.
- JET NOISE from Whidbey Island Naval Air Station. The CRC is joining with other community groups including those on Bainbridge and Island Counties to advocate for the reduction and stoppage of low-flying jets over Puget sound communities. The CRC will announce meetings to be held on Growler Jet Noise and the Environmental Impact Statement Process.
- GMO FISH BAN – The CRC will be exploring a proposed law in Olympia that would ban genetically modified salmon from being grown in the state of WA. The people are interested in this – so hopefully it will come out of committee.
- GMO seeds and labeling – Support efforts to protect local seed companies and farmers who are raising organic non-GMO seeds.
- COUNTY ROAD HERBICIDE SPRAY ISSUE – County commissioner David Sullivan offered to hold a public forum on the spray issue, a group will be forming to look at that. O’Neill will see if the no spray people would be willing to follow up on this.
- Actively oppose NET PENS
- XL PIPELINE AND COAL TRAINS – Actively oppose Fossil Fuel shipping through our region and through areas of Canada and the US that is destroying the environment
- LOCAL FOODS MOVEMENT – Support efforts to help local farmers develop a sustainable local foods movement.
- FOOD STAMPS CUTS – Actively support low-income residents who are losing the ability to purchase food because of massive cuts to food stamps.